He it happened again. The vet also told me

He went outside to the toilet and began pacing the garden, all the while being very unstable and disorientated. My boyfriend sat with Marley while I ran to a neighbour who also keeps dogs, and asked her to come over and look at him.

By the time I came back with the neighbour, Marley was starting to recover and act his normal self although he still had wobbly legs. We decided not to call the emergency vet and to keep a close eye on Marley with a view to take him to the vets if he didn’t show improvement.Marley was so hungry; he was literally hunting for food, like some sort of wild animal. He pulled the bin over, chewed at food cupboard doors, and kept trying to jump up on the worktop. We fed him another meal (dry biscuits) and he ate it like he’d never been fed before! After this, he eventually settled on the bed and we sat with him until he fell asleep. We decided to keep him in the room with us until the morning, when we could get him to the vets.The Next DayHe showed no more signs that day, or the morning after that anything was wrong.

It was almost like it had all been a bad dream.I took Marley to the vets the next morning and explained the events of the night before. My vet informed me that he may have had a fit and many dogs can fit, just once, for no reason at all and would never fit again in their lives.

He told me to take Marley home and keep a close eye on him and to come back if it happened again. The vet also told me that if he were to fit again, I needed to note the colour of his gums and time the seizure. If the seizure lasted longer than five minutes then we were told to call the vet out as he would require medication to bring him out of the seizure.Marley’s 2nd seizureFor nearly a month, Marley was perfectly fine. We were beginning to think that maybe he had just had a one off fit like our vet had explained. Then, on 7th April, 3 weeks and 1 day after his 1st seizure, Marley had another seizure. The seizure itself was very similar to the 1st one, rigid body, shaking legs, glazed expression and foaming mouth.

The seizure itself lasted 60-90 seconds. For about 40 minutes after his seizure, he was very disorientated. Again, he was ravenous so we fed him a usual amount of dry biscuits which he ate readily.Vets AppointmentsWe booked Marley into the vets the next day.

My vet said at this point, we needed to do something drastic as it was obvious there was some sort of underlying problem. My vet explained that he would be testing Marley’s thyroid gland and his blood sugar levels. Our vet also explained that it could be epilepsy causing him to fit. A test for epilepsy in dogs does not exist so the vets had to basically test for anything else that could be causing his seizures. If these tests came back all clear, then they would be looking at either a brain tumour or epilepsy as the cause of his seizures.

The vet took some blood samples from Marley and asked us to call in a week’s time for the results.We called the vets a week later and were informed that Marley results had all come back clear. The vet explained that he would like to take more blood samples from Marley and test him for Cushing’s disease. We booked an appointment for that week and the vet took further blood samples.Further seizuresTwo weeks, and two days after Marley’s 2nd seizure, he had yet another one. At 12.40pm on 3rd May he had a fit that lasted about 30 seconds.

He came out of the fit quite quickly and wasn’t as disorientated as he had been before, but he still had wobbly legs. However, Marley eye’s still looked glazed and he was being very boisterous with the other dogs and almost a bit over the top with his behaviour, which is not at all like him. We kept a close eye on his behaviour as we felt that something wasn’t quite right